Senior Associate Counsel
The Farmer's Dog
Who We Are
The Farmer’s Dog is the fastest growing pet health service company in the US, and was born from a mission to change the landscape of pet health, providing dogs and their humans with honest, smart, and simple care – a fresh proposition in an industry riddled with manipulative and misleading marketing. We’re starting by radically improving the $100 billion pet food market, replacing bulk bags of highly-processed pellets with a personalized subscription service that sends healthy, freshly-made dog food, balanced by top veterinary nutritionists, directly to customers’ doors. Our ultimate goal is to create innovative, honest, and delightful experiences across all aspects of pet care, and we believe our direct-to-consumer business model, holistic approach to growth, and dynamic and forward-thinking culture uniquely position us to shepherd this backwards industry into the future.
To date, The Farmer’s Dog has delivered hundreds of millions of meals nationwide and raised over $150M in funding to help us build a company as healthy as the dogs who are eating those meals. Join us as we continue to develop ways of bringing peace of mind to our customers, health to their companions, and much-needed change to the way people feed and care for their pets.
Where You'll Come In
We are looking for a Senior Associate Counsel to join our fast-growing Team! The Senior Associate Counsel will play an integral role as one of the core members of the small, but mighty legal department at The Farmer’s Dog. They will report to the Corporate Counsel, and will work closely with stakeholders across the company to manage the company’s day-to-day legal and compliance needs. The Senior Associate Counsel is expected to further accelerate TFD’s momentum through working with the business to efficiently and proactively identify ways to mitigate risk and eliminate legal blockers. This is a high-impact role that requires a highly motivated individual with a passion for law, and of course, dogs!
How You'll Make An Impact
- Manage a broad range of legal matters across the organization.
- Assist with drafting, negotiating and finalizing a variety of agreements, including, but not limited to operations, employment, product, social media, SaaS, technology and other vendor agreements.
- Advise on intellectual property matters such as marketing/advertising claims and trademark issues.
- Stay apprised of regulatory developments relevant to our business and work to ensure consistent compliance across statutory, regulatory and contractual requirements.
- Assist on cross-functional projects as needed, as well as assist with the management of external counsel in a cost-effective manner.
- Contribute to the legal team’s ongoing efforts to build, improve and operationalize internal processes, best practices, and commercial templates.
- Help manage and leverage our contract management system in coordination with our Contracts Specialist.
We're Excited About You Because
- You have a J.D. from an ABA accredited law school and admission to the NY bar.
- You have 5+ years (post-law school) combined relevant legal experience at a law firm and in-house.
- You have strong contract drafting and negotiation skills, spanning multiple disciplines.
- You have strong thought leadership and business partnering skills at all organizational levels.
- You have experience in the direct-to-consumer, e-commerce, and/or pet space (preferred).
- You possess a willingness to be flexible and proactive in solving complex challenges.
- You have excellent communication (written and verbal) skills, and ability to communicate clearly and productively with non-legal colleagues.
- You have a proven track record of understanding business needs, finding creative solutions, and balancing the interplay between legal and business risk.
- You are proficient with Google Suite; Microsoft Word, Excel, & Powerpoint; and Adobe Acrobat. Familiarity with Lexis+/legal research is a plus.
We support our team members with the flexibility to thrive, professionally and personally. Currently all hybrid team members are asked to be in the office for 2 Gathering Days a week to continue to build a collaborative, lively, and invested environment - a unique in-person culture we are proud of. Gathering Days are Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, however the office will be open and available for all Monday through Friday. This hybrid policy can be subject to change at company discretion.
A Few of Our Best Benefits
- Dog-friendly office in Greenwich Village
- Market-competitive compensation and equity packages
- Comprehensive Healthcare, Dental, and Vision
- 12 week paid parental leave
- Competitive 401k plan with company match
- Flexible PTO and WFH policy
- Discounted fresh food for your pup
- Your pet interrupting video calls (and in-person meetings) is now a feature, not a bug
We commit to building a competitive compensation package and company environment for all individuals to thrive. We believe in competitive base compensation rooted in location specific market data and performance along with equity ownership in the company that allows every team member to build their personal wealth as the company grows, just as much as we believe in fostering a culture that supports our team members personally, professionally, and holistically. For this role the anticipated hiring base compensation range is $155,000 - $165,000 USD Annual and the compensation offered will include a robust market competitive package of base and equity. In addition to your base compensation offer you will also receive equity ownership in the company. More information about the value of this equity will be shared at the time of offer. This range is representative of NYC Market Data if you are applying to this role outside of the NYC area the range may change.
Something looks off?