Senior Engineering Manager
The Farmer's Dog
Who We Are
The Farmer’s Dog is the fastest growing pet health service company in the US, and was born from a mission to change the landscape of pet health, providing dogs and their humans with honest, smart, and simple care – a fresh proposition in an industry riddled with manipulative and misleading marketing. We’re starting by radically improving the $100 billion pet food market, replacing bulk bags of highly-processed pellets with a personalized subscription service that sends healthy, freshly-made dog food, balanced by top veterinary nutritionists, directly to customers’ doors. Our ultimate goal is to create innovative, honest, and delightful experiences across all aspects of pet care, and we believe our direct-to-consumer business model, holistic approach to growth, and dynamic and forward-thinking culture uniquely position us to shepherd this backwards industry into the future.
To date, The Farmer’s Dog has delivered hundreds of millions of meals nationwide and raised over $150M in funding to help us build a company as healthy as the dogs who are eating those meals. Join us as we continue to develop ways of bringing peace of mind to our customers, health to their companions, and much-needed change to the way people feed and care for their pets.
Where You'll Come In
The Farmer’s Dog is looking for an Senior Engineering Manager . The Engineering function is building a subscription e-commerce platform from the ground up to support hundreds of thousands of orders being shipped out every day. We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to partner with our Head of Engineering to provide development, coaching, and mentorship to our team; refine processes, and help with multi-functional management.
This Senior Engineering Manager will need to own performance management and ensure successful group development. Every day, this person will partner closely with Product Managers and Engineers to craft the product and improve processes while removing roadblocks and uncertainty.
How You'll Make An Impact
- Support a group of 7+ engineers with a focus on mentorship, coaching and personal development
- Grow and manage a group of hardworking and motivated engineers with high expectations around individual ownership and impact
- Cultivate an inclusive, respectful, and dynamic group
- Develop a healthy and collaborative culture that is true to The Farmer’s Dog’s values
- Enable the group to deliver outstanding output
- Participate in system design and architecture conversations
- Represent the group in high-level, cross-disciplinary road-mapping discussions
- Advocate for the group and remove obstacles
We're Excited About You Because
- 5+ years of total software engineering experience
- 3+ years of recent, engineering management experience with a range of responsibilities from developing talent to growing your group into a robust, healthy development organization
- Experience efficiently delegating group responsibilities, conducting 1:1’s, and providing frequent, clear, relevant feedback
- Experience architecting for high-scalability and availability
The office is open and available for all Monday through Friday. We ask all team members to be in office a minimum of 2-3 days a week to build a collaborative and invested environment to foster our unique in-person culture we are proud to have. The office policy is subject to change at company discretion.
Our DEI Philosophy
Our company’s mission is rooted in deep, genuine care for dogs – and for the people who love them. As an organization we are full of individuals who are unique in many ways, but all united in a mission of providing true peace of mind to dog lovers everywhere. Fixing this industry and improving the lives of pets and their people will be a difficult, decades-long endeavor. We believe the best use of our time, energy, and resources as a collective team is to focus on this mission, and on supporting our team to do their best work and be their best selves. In support of this we’re committed to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce, and investing in internal structures, opportunities, hiring/promotions processes, and training that create and sustain an inclusive team. We strive to provide an experience at TFD that will be invested, meaningful and memorable as we progress on the journey to reimagine how we feed and care for our pets.
A Few of Our Best Benefits
- Market-competitive compensation and equity packages
- Comprehensive Healthcare, Dental, and Vision
- 12 week paid parental leave
- Competitive 401k plan with company match
- Flexible paid time off policy
- Discounted fresh food for your pup
- Your pet interrupting video calls is now a feature, not a bug
We commit to building a competitive compensation package and company environment for all individuals to thrive. We believe in competitive base compensation rooted in location specific market data and performance along with equity ownership in the company that allows every team member to build their personal wealth as the company grows, just as much as we believe in fostering a culture that supports our team members personally, professionally, and holistically. For this role the anticipated hiring base compensation range is $205,000 - $215,000 USD Annual and the compensation offered will include a robust market competitive package of base and equity. In addition to your base compensation offer you will also receive equity ownership in the company. More information about the value of this equity will be shared at the time of offer. This range is representative of NYC Market Data if you are applying to this role outside of the NYC area the range may change.