VP of Communications
The Farmer's Dog
Who We Are
The Farmer’s Dog is the fastest growing pet health service company in the US, and was born from a mission to change the landscape of pet health, providing dogs and their humans with honest, smart, and simple care – a fresh proposition in an industry riddled with manipulative and misleading marketing. We’re starting by radically improving the $100 billion pet food market, replacing bulk bags of highly-processed pellets with a personalized subscription service that sends healthy, freshly-made dog food, balanced by top veterinary nutritionists, directly to customers’ doors. Our ultimate goal is to create innovative, honest, and delightful experiences across all aspects of pet care, and we believe our direct-to-consumer business model, holistic approach to growth, and dynamic and forward-thinking culture uniquely position us to shepherd this backwards industry into the future.
To date, The Farmer’s Dog has delivered hundreds of millions of meals nationwide and raised over $150M in funding to help us build a company as healthy as the dogs who are eating those meals. Join us as we continue to develop ways of bringing peace of mind to our customers, health to their companions, and much-needed change to the way people feed and care for their pets.
Where You'll Come In
As the Vice President of Communications, you will lead and oversee our company's public relations efforts. You will play a critical role in telling the company’s story to dog lovers, the veterinary community, like-minded partners and regulatory bodies that impact our mission. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing our communications strategy and executing initiatives to enhance the company's brand image, reputation and relationships with important stakeholders.
How You'll Make An Impact
- Identify, define and prioritize the most important audiences for our communications efforts
- Develop, maintain and strengthen relationships with the publications, journalists and personalities that resonate with important audiences
- In partnership with the SVP of Brand, craft compelling and consistent messaging that reflects the company's values, mission and brand identity
- Create and distribute press releases, articles and other materials to convey important messages to the press, influential personalities and regulatory bodies
- Manage a calendar of target press moments and proactively seek out media opportunities, including interviews, features and awards
- Develop and implement crisis communication plans to effectively manage and mitigate potential reputation risks
- Represent the company at industry events, conferences and speaking engagements and serve as a primary spokesperson during times of crisis or sensitive situations
- Establish success metrics to evaluate the effectiveness of communications initiative
- Provide regular reports and analysis to executive partners, demonstrating the impact of communications efforts on business objectives
- Develop and manage the communications budget, ensuring optimal allocation of resources for maximum impact
We're Excited About You Because
- You have 15+ years of progressive experience in public relations, with 5 years in a leadership or management role inside high growth organizations
- You have a strong network of contacts including editors, journalists and public personalities
- You have a proven track record of successfully executing PR campaigns and initiatives
- You have been through the fire of crisis communications
- You have proven you can build healthy internal relationships at all levels, across internal functions
- You have a fluency in PR measurement and reporting tools
- You communicate clearly–in both speech and writing
- You love solving problems and getting things done
- You sweat the details
- You love dogs (even if you don’t own one)
The office is open and available for all Monday through Friday. We ask all team members to be in office a minimum of 2-3 days a week to build a collaborative and invested environment to foster our unique in-person culture we are proud to have. This office policy is subject to change at company discretion.
Our DEI Philosophy:
Our company’s mission is rooted in deep, genuine care for dogs – and for the people who love them. As an organization we are full of individuals who are unique in many ways, but all united in a mission of providing true peace of mind to dog lovers everywhere. Fixing this industry and improving the lives of pets and their people will be a difficult, decades-long endeavor. We believe the best use of our time, energy, and resources as a collective team is to focus on this mission, and on supporting our team to do their best work and be their best selves. In support of this we’re committed to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce, and investing in internal structures, opportunities, hiring/promotions processes, and training that create and sustain an inclusive team. We strive to provide an experience at TFD that will be invested, meaningful and memorable as we progress on the journey to reimagine how we feed and care for our pets.
A Few of Our Best Benefits
- Dog-friendly office in Greenwich Village
- Market-competitive compensation and equity packages
- Comprehensive Healthcare, Dental, and Vision
- Company sponsored mental health benefit and coaching through Modern Health
- 12 week paid parental leave
- Competitive 401k plan with company match
- Flexible PTO
- Discounted fresh food for your pup
- Your pet interrupting video calls (and in-person meetings) is now a feature, not a bug
We commit to building a competitive compensation package and company environment for all individuals to thrive. We believe in competitive base compensation rooted in location specific market data and performance along with equity ownership in the company that allows every team member to build their personal wealth as the company grows, just as much as we believe in fostering a culture that supports our team members personally, professionally, and holistically. For this role the anticipated hiring base compensation range is $230,000 - $250,000 USD Annual and the compensation offered will include a robust market competitive package of base and equity. In addition to your base compensation offer you will also receive equity ownership in the company. More information about the value of this equity will be shared at the time of offer. This range is representative of NYC Market Data if you are applying to this role outside of the NYC area the range may change.