The Farmer's Dog
Who We Are
The Farmer’s Dog is the fastest growing pet health service company in the US, and was born from a mission to change the landscape of pet health, providing dogs and their humans with honest, smart, and simple care – a fresh proposition in an industry riddled with manipulative and misleading marketing. We’re starting by radically improving the $100 billion pet food market, replacing bulk bags of highly-processed pellets with a personalized subscription service that sends healthy, freshly-made dog food, balanced by top veterinary nutritionists, directly to customers’ doors. Our ultimate goal is to create innovative, honest, and delightful experiences across all aspects of pet care, and we believe our direct-to-consumer business model, holistic approach to growth, and dynamic and forward-thinking culture uniquely position us to shepherd this backwards industry into the future.
To date, The Farmer’s Dog has delivered hundreds of millions of meals nationwide and raised over $150M in funding to help us build a company as healthy as the dogs who are eating those meals. Join us as we continue to develop ways of bringing peace of mind to our customers, health to their companions, and much-needed change to the way people feed and care for their pets.
Where You'll Come In
As the Procurement Manager, you will prepare and review contracts, bids, and proposals for vendor agreements. To successfully tackle this task, you will need to understand the legal requirements related to pricing and the criteria for acceptable materials. You will be tasked with establishing and nurturing relationships with crucial suppliers, as well as sourcing and retaining suppliers offering top-notch products and services at competitive prices while adhering to the highest standards of ethics and conduct. The Procurement Manager will be required to address claims and promptly handle crises involving both internal and external partners. Overall, this role will assist the Planning and Procurement department in identifying and mitigating material supply risks. This position will report directly to the Senior Procurement Manager.
How You'll Make An Impact
Category Management - Dry Ingredients
- Develop and implement sourcing strategies for all suppliers and raw ingredients within the dry category.
- Conduct and manage RFP activities for relevant ingredient categories to ensure short and long-term production forecasts are adequately supported, sourcing redundancy is maintained for all ingredients and ingredient spend remains in line with FP&A targets.
- Manage supplier contract liabilities to ensure zero supply gaps and contracts are fully closed out at term.
- Forecast and mitigate material obsolescence.
- Liaise with Coman and 3PL partners as required to monitor inventory depletions and associated fees for The Farmer's Dog owned and obsolete ingredient tracking.
- Set and track supplier KPI metrics; drive corrective actions and continuous improvement initiatives to ensure suppliers are performing to the highest standard.
- Serve as the key Procurement contact for any sourcing or ingredient needs related, but not limited to new product development, trials and renovation projects; work closely with Acquisition, Retention, FSQR, R&D and other cross-functional partners to support a seamless execution of these initiatives.
- Provide an accurate monthly material forecast and other supporting forecast updates as needed to internal and external partners; effectively communicate changes in material costs and market drivers to internal stakeholders.
- Drive consistency across plants as it relates to best practices in raw material procurement and supplier relationships.
We're Excited About You Because
- You have 5+ years experience in Purchasing, Supply Chain or Manufacturing
- Thriving in fast-paced settings, you possess an assertive and proactive work approach.
- Your curiosity knows no bounds, and you excel in collaborative environments, communicating effectively.
- Meticulously organized and detail-oriented, you adeptly juggle multiple tasks and prioritize effectively.
- You have experience in leveraging supplier relationships
- You're a strong written and verbal communicator
- You have project management and conflict resolution experience
- You have an understanding of Material Requirements planning
- You have USDA, FDA, and Frozen Food Experience
- You are proficient in Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Google Docs
The office is open and available for all Monday through Friday. We ask all team members to be in office a minimum of 2-3 days a week to build a collaborative and invested environment to foster our unique in-person culture we are proud to have. This office policy is subject to change at company discretion.
Our DEI Philosophy:
Our company’s mission is rooted in deep, genuine care for dogs – and for the people who love them. As an organization we are full of individuals who are unique in many ways, but all united in a mission of providing true peace of mind to dog lovers everywhere. Fixing this industry and improving the lives of pets and their people will be a difficult, decades-long endeavor. We believe the best use of our time, energy, and resources as a collective team is to focus on this mission, and on supporting our team to do their best work and be their best selves. In support of this we’re committed to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce, and investing in internal structures, opportunities, hiring/promotions processes, and training that create and sustain an inclusive team. We strive to provide an experience at TFD that will be invested, meaningful and memorable as we progress on the journey to reimagine how we feed and care for our pets.
A Few of Our Best Benefits
- Dog-friendly office in Greenwich Village
- Market-competitive compensation and equity packages
- Comprehensive Healthcare, Dental, and Vision
- Company sponsored mental health benefit and coaching through Modern Health
- 12 week paid parental leave
- Competitive 401k plan with company match
- Flexible PTO
- Discounted fresh food for your pup
- Your pet interrupting video calls (and in-person meetings) is now a feature, not a bug
We commit to building a competitive compensation package and company environment for all individuals to thrive. We believe in competitive base compensation rooted in location specific market data and performance along with equity ownership in the company that allows every team member to build their personal wealth as the company grows, just as much as we believe in fostering a culture that supports our team members personally, professionally, and holistically. For this role the anticipated hiring base compensation range is $115,000 - $130,000 USD Annual and the compensation offered will include a robust market competitive package of base and equity. In addition to your base compensation offer you will also receive equity ownership in the company. More information about the value of this equity will be shared at the time of offer. This range is representative of NYC Market Data if you are applying to this role outside of the NYC area the range may change.