Senior Software Engineer
The Farmer's Dog
Who We Are
The Farmer’s Dog is the fastest growing pet health service company in the US, and was born from a mission to change the landscape of pet health, providing dogs and their humans with honest, smart, and simple care – a fresh proposition in an industry riddled with manipulative and misleading marketing. We’re starting by radically improving the $100 billion pet food market, replacing bulk bags of highly-processed pellets with a personalized subscription service that sends healthy, freshly-made dog food, balanced by top veterinary nutritionists, directly to customers’ doors. Our ultimate goal is to create innovative, honest, and delightful experiences across all aspects of pet care, and we believe our direct-to-consumer business model, holistic approach to growth, and dynamic and forward-thinking culture uniquely position us to shepherd this backwards industry into the future.
To date, The Farmer’s Dog has delivered hundreds of millions of meals nationwide and raised over $150M in funding to help us build a company as healthy as the dogs who are eating those meals. Join us as we continue to develop ways of bringing peace of mind to our customers, health to their companions, and much-needed change to the way people feed and care for their pets.
Where You'll Come In
What’s a day in the life of a Software Engineer like here? You’ll work with a talented engineering “pawd” to expand and improve our subscription-based, direct-to-consumer, e-commerce platform that delivers fresh food to pets across the country. Big fan of short feedback loops? You’ll deliver high quality, well-tested and peer-reviewed code to production in minutes using our automated CI/CD pipeline. Your solutions will leverage industry best practices including A/B experiments, feature toggles and canary rollouts to confidently release high-impact features that dog lovers will love.
At The Farmer’s Dog collaboration is an imperative. Our team is full of engineers that love to learn and grow. You’ll regularly white board, pair program and review architecture with top-notch peers with experience working at Amazon, Google, Disney, and Apple.
We have a great team, but there’s still so much to do and figure out. If you’re interested in scale and want to be in the room when those architecture decisions are made: you’re reading the right job description. We’re in that sweet spot of having clear product-market fit, but still having a small enough team that each engineer makes a big impact. You’ll work closely with the team to restructure our application architecture to handle our rapid growth at scale.
If you want to have the space and agency to make a big impact both for customers, colleagues and our system: The Farmer’s Dog is for you. If you’re looking for a fully-formed organization with a lot of established processes: a larger company would be a better fit. If you’re looking for rapid iteration to find product-market fit: an earlier stage startup would be a better match.
How You'll Make An Impact
We’re looking for software engineers who are excited to make big changes, teach, learn and grow. In general you have:
- Knowledge of programming languages and software development standard processes to ensure that projects are delivered on time and within budget
- Analytical and problem solving skills to identify and resolve issues that arise during projects to minimize delays and keep projects on track
- Experience with multi-functional teams including developers, product managers, and partners to meet project and organizational goals
- Solid data modeling skills for assessing and expanding our domain.
- Strong architectural/architectural design experience working at scale.
- Experience mentoring other engineers.
We're Excited About You Because
- There’s a focus on quality in everything you deliver from code, to architecture, to group messages.
- You are always looking to improve your environment and take things from good to great.
- Detail oriented internally and externally. You love to build accurate mental models of how things work.
- Focused on seeking out contrasting opinions so you can learn and grow.
- Resourceful enough to get the answers you need independently while savvy enough to develop solutions collaboratively.
- Comfortable in both scrappy and entrepreneurial environments, as well as more sophisticated and later-stage organizations.
- You think critically and objectively; have excellent problem solving skills and the ability to make quick decisions based on business demands.
- Strong mentoring and coaching skills. You enjoy providing long-term career guidance for your team members.
- High energy and action-oriented with a passion for getting things done in complex environments.
- Strong communication skills. You are articulate and persuasive while able to listen and incorporate the perspectives of others.
- Results orientated with a strong work ethic. Must be tenacious, with the emotional intelligence to know when to push harder and when to look for alternative approaches.
- Committed to furthering the mission of The Farmer’s Dog.
The office is open and available for all Monday through Friday. We ask all team members to be in office a minimum of 2-3 days a week to build a collaborative and invested environment to foster our unique in-person culture we are proud to have. The office policy is subject to change at company discretion.
Our DEI Philosophy
Our company’s mission is rooted in deep, genuine care for dogs – and for the people who love them. As an organization we are full of individuals who are unique in many ways, but all united in a mission of providing true peace of mind to dog lovers everywhere. Fixing this industry and improving the lives of pets and their people will be a difficult, decades-long endeavor. We believe the best use of our time, energy, and resources as a collective team is to focus on this mission, and on supporting our team to do their best work and be their best selves. In support of this we’re committed to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce, and investing in internal structures, opportunities, hiring/promotions processes, and training that create and sustain an inclusive team. We strive to provide an experience at TFD that will be invested, meaningful and memorable as we progress on the journey to reimagine how we feed and care for our pets.
A Few of Our Best Benefits
- Market-competitive compensation and equity packages
- Comprehensive Healthcare, Dental, and Vision
- 12 week paid parental leave
- Competitive 401k plan with company match
- Flexible paid time off policy
- Discounted fresh food for your pup
- Your pet interrupting video calls is now a feature, not a bug
We commit to building a competitive compensation package and company environment for all individuals to thrive. We believe in competitive base compensation rooted in location specific market data and performance along with equity ownership in the company that allows every team member to build their personal wealth as the company grows, just as much as we believe in fostering a culture that supports our team members personally, professionally, and holistically. For this role the anticipated hiring base compensation range is $170,000 - $190,000 USD Annual and the compensation offered will include a robust market competitive package of base and equity. In addition to your base compensation offer you will also receive equity ownership in the company. More information about the value of this equity will be shared at the time of offer. This range is representative of NYC Market Data if you are applying to this role outside of the NYC area the range may change.