Senior Quality Specialist, Instrumentation - Omaha, Nebraska
The Farmer's Dog
Who We Are
The Farmer’s Dog is the fastest growing pet health service company in the US, and was born from a mission to change the landscape of pet health, providing dogs and their humans with honest, smart, and simple care – a fresh proposition in an industry riddled with manipulative and misleading marketing. We’re starting by radically improving the $100 billion pet food market, replacing bulk bags of highly-processed pellets with a personalized subscription service that sends healthy, freshly-made dog food, balanced by top veterinary nutritionists, directly to customers’ doors. Our ultimate goal is to create innovative, honest, and delightful experiences across all aspects of pet care, and we believe our direct-to-consumer business model, holistic approach to growth, and dynamic and forward-thinking culture uniquely position us to shepherd this backwards industry into the future.
To date, The Farmer’s Dog has delivered hundreds of millions of meals nationwide and raised over $150M in funding to help us build a company as healthy as the dogs who are eating those meals. Join us as we continue to develop ways of bringing peace of mind to our customers, health to their companions, and much-needed change to the way people feed and care for their pets.
Where You'll Come In
The Instrumentation Specialist is an integral part of the Food Safety, Quality and Regulatory and Research and Development team which ensures safe, and wholesome dog food products in their development and finished phase meet set standards of quality, uniformity, and performance. This role is responsible for instrumentation, procedures and/or equipment to maintain quality and performance. Works with appropriate personnel to assure quality data is produced and appropriate measures are taken for maintenance, repair, and improvement of instrumentation. Assists in analysis of data to identify and troubleshoot/problem solve trends across internal and external laboratories. Works with personnel to ensure appropriate measures are taken to ensure quality results are delivered in a timely fashion.
How You'll Make An Impact
- Perform physical and or chemical laboratory tests in support of research and development and commercial product testing programs using various scientific equipment, instrumentation, and bench chemistry techniques.
- Works with partner labs to ensure all laboratory components are in good working order and routine system health checks occur on a regular and scheduled basis.
- Assist and support external labs in troubleshooting, process improvements, and quality to ensure their process is aligned with The Farmer’s Dog R&D center.
- Work with R&D, operations, Food Safety Quality and Regulatory
- Analyzes data and trends to troubleshoot, problem solve, and/or identify areas of processing improvement and assists in resolving and improving these areas both internally and externally
- Develop and perform preventative maintenance, repairs, and calibration programs for instrumentation used within labs. Communicates and coordinates with appropriate lab personnel and service personnel as needed.
- Evaluate instrumentation needs throughout The Farmer’s Dog network and make recommendations to improve data availability.
- Lead the development of or develop/provide internal and/or external technical training on FOSS, CEM, Salt Analyzer, Water Activity meter
- Analyzes data and trends to troubleshoot, problem solve, and/or identify areas of processing improvement and assists in resolving and improving these areas.
- Perform audits of TFD partner labs.
- Evaluates systems to improve efficiency and accuracy within processing labs.
- Document procedures and write SOPs in adherence to ISO17025.
- Familiar with all relevant SOP’s to ensure all procedures are accurate and appropriate to produce quality product(s).
- Works with personnel to ensure appropriate measures are taken to ensure quality results are delivered
We're Excited About You Because
- 2+ years of experience in laboratory support, mechanics/repair, and lab instrumentation
- Bachelor's degree in life sciences, chemistry or related field
- You are located in Omaha, Nebraska and are comfortable with coming into the R&D center 5 days a week.
- You have familiarity with aseptic technique
- You are detail oriented and can work independently
- You have knowledge of Laboratory safety standards and GMPs
- You are comfortable with 25% travel throughout the year
Our DEI Philosophy
Our company’s mission is rooted in deep, genuine care for dogs – and for the people who love them. As an organization we are full of individuals who are unique in many ways, but all united in a mission of providing true peace of mind to dog lovers everywhere. Fixing this industry and improving the lives of pets and their people will be a difficult, decades-long endeavor. We believe the best use of our time, energy, and resources as a collective team is to focus on this mission, and on supporting our team to do their best work and be their best selves. In support of this we’re committed to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce, and investing in internal structures, opportunities, hiring/promotions processes, and training that create and sustain an inclusive team. We strive to provide an experience at TFD that will be invested, meaningful and memorable as we progress on the journey to reimagine how we feed and care for our pets.
A Few of Our Best Benefits
- Market-competitive compensation and equity packages
- Comprehensive Healthcare, Dental, and Vision
- Company sponsored mental health benefit and coaching through Modern Health
- 12 week paid parental leave
- Competitive 401k plan with company match
- Flexible PTO
- Discounted fresh food for your pup
- Your pet interrupting video calls (and in-person meetings) is now a feature, not a bug
We commit to building a competitive compensation package and company environment for all individuals to thrive. We believe in competitive base compensation rooted in location specific market data and performance along with equity ownership in the company that allows every team member to build their personal wealth as the company grows, just as much as we believe in fostering a culture that supports our team members personally, professionally, and holistically. In addition to your base compensation offer you will also receive equity ownership in the company. More information about the value of this equity will be shared at the time of offer.