Senior Software Engineer - Android
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2023
At WHOOP, we're on a mission to unlock human performance. WHOOP empowers members to perform at a higher level through a deeper understanding of their bodies and daily lives. We handle massive amounts of data continuously streaming up to the cloud from people improving their health and wellness to the world’s greatest sports teams and athletes mandating a fault-tolerant and highly available product.
The Connectivity team focuses on bridging the gap between embedded and mobile engineering, ensuring a seamless and consistent experience for members wearing a WHOOP strap. As an Android Mobile Engineer on the Connectivity team you’ll focus on optimizing device connectivity and building new features into the existing Android app which are aimed at making our member’s connectivity experience as seamless as possible.
- Work in a cross functional team that works closely with other teams at WHOOP
- Utilize Android Bluetooth stack to connect and communicate with the WHOOP device
- Utilize knowledge of Kotlin and Java to develop and maintain product features
- Architect and develop libraries and SDKs that are leveraged by other software teams.
- Participate in the release process including getting the app built, managing build variants, signing, sending and testing through Firebase, and submitting to the App store
- Analyze and monitor user metrics and feedback to determine crash rate or potential bugs and to improve engagement
- Help groom and ramp-up of other mobile developers and also helping the backend team design data contracts
- You are a promoter of best practices for concurrency and multithreading
- Product-minded engineer with empathy for the customer experience
- Possess a strong willingness to learn and grow rapidly across Android and external systems
- Experience in building, testing, debugging and delivering native Android apps in a professional environment
- Knowledge of Kotlin and frameworks such as Coroutines, Android Jetpack libraries (including ViewModel, Flows, and Navigation), Room database, and retrofit / okhttp.
- Experience using Git to organize feature work
- Expert knowledge of Android application structure and components as well as lifecycle and Android Design Guidelines
- Well-versed in communicating with a RESTful backend
- Experience using best-practice mobile architecture and modular design, including patterns such as MVVM
- BLE experience is a plus
Find out more about us: "WHOOP Software Principles"
This role is based in the WHOOP office located in Boston, MA. The successful candidate must be prepared to relocate if necessary to work out of the Boston, MA office.
Interested in the role, but don’t meet every qualification? We encourage you to still apply! At WHOOP, we believe there is much more to a candidate than what is written on paper, and we value character as much as experience. As we continue to build a diverse and inclusive environment, we encourage anyone who is interested in this role to apply.
WHOOP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-verify to determine employment eligibility